Maintaining a brilliant smile is a new year’s resolution we can all accomplish! Keep your goals with these five habits that are sure to make your mouth and mind a whole lot healthier.
- Don’t forget about the floss! It’s just as important to get in between your teeth as it is to polish the front and back. When you are performing your morning and evening teeth cleaning rituals, be sure to add a little floss time. Your mouth, and your dentist, will appreciate the effort!
- Avoid harmful substances. To keep your healthy mouth resolution, you have to stay true to these common resolutions as well: don’t smoke, use alcohol, or overindulge in caffeine. Each of these can increase your risk for oral and throat cancers, as well as damage your teeth.
- Eat foods that are GOOD for your teeth. Not surprisingly, many foods that are meant to keep your body healthy are also good at keeping your mouth clean. Eating fresh foods will do wonders on your teeth compared to ingesting a lot of processed, canned, and overly sweetened foods. It won’t repair any damage that was already done, but it will go far into preventing any further damage.
- Keep your mouth moist. Your saliva does a lot to keep your teeth healthy. It can prevent cavities, decrease the likeliness of gum disease, and ward off fungal infections. In order to maintain this natural protector, be sure to drink enough water each day and pay close attention to any medication that causes dry mouth.
- Maintain your bi-annual cleanings. Nothing works better than having your chompers cleaned by the professionals. With our practice, we focus our efforts on each individual clients’ needs and protect their smiles in a variety of ways: scale the teeth and gums, remove surface stains, tartar, plaque, and apply fluoride to keep each tooth shiny! Stay healthy this year, and make an appointment with us!